StrongStart is a Ministry of Education funded free program offering opportunities for parents and caregivers of children aged up to five years to participate in free ‘play and learn centres’ located in schools. The centres operate on a drop in schedule and offer free nutritional snacks and stimulating learning resources that engage children and parents. They are staffed by qualified Early Childhood Educators.
StrongStart is a wonderful beginning place for your little one to learn together with others: to imagine, create, read with you and others, play dress-up, sing and rhyme.
Early Learning Facilitators: Ms. Lorie McDonald and Ms. Kerry Weismiller
- North Otter (604-856-3355) 8:30am-11:30am
- Parkside Centennial (604-856-7775) 8:35am-11:35am
- Simonds (604-530-2361) 9:00am to 12:00pm
- West Langley (604-888-6444)) 9:00am-12:00pm
- Douglas Park (604-533-4491) 1:00pm-4:00pm
- James Hill (604-530-0251) 1:00pm-4:00pm
- Willoughby (604-888-6033) 1:00pm-4:00pm
Centres are open Mondays through Fridays, except on school holidays, Administration and Pro-D Days.
A StrongStart Centre provides a place, a time and great resources for you and your child to play, to:
- Explore with sand and water
- Explore through art – in a variety of media
- Develop important social and communication skills
- Develop all of the senses
- Learn songs, enjoy music and movement
- Learn finger plays
- Listen to stories
- Play dress-up and imagine me
- Climb, slide, build with blocks
- Play with natural and real materials
A child learns through play.
We think of play as simply a child’s unorganized, fun time. But it is so much more than that. Play provides the solid foundation of a child’s learning: children develop vocabulary and early literacy skills through singing, rhyming, and stories; by listening and speaking as they play; and by telling you about what they are playing.
They develop physical and motor skills through movement and discovery. They develop social skills and emotional control as they play with you and with others. Give your child a strong foundation for lifelong learning.
Come to a StrongStart Centre, or have your family childcare provider come and help your child get the best start for Kindergarten.
For more information please contact Nicomekl Elementary School 604 533-1468 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
StrongStart Closures 2019/2020
First Day : September 11th, 2019
September 20th, 2019 – School not in session –
October 14/15th, 2019 – Administration Days –
October 25th, 2019 – Pro D Day –
Nov 8th, 2019 – Pro D Day –
November 25th, 2019 – Administration Day –
Dec 20th, 2019 – Administration Day –
January 6th, 2020 – Administrations Day –
January 7th, 2020 – Administration Day –
February 14th, 2020 – Pro D Day –
February 17th, 2020 – Family Day –
March 13th, 2020 – Spring Break -closed-
April 14th, 2020 – Administration Day –
May 15th, 2020 – Pro D Day –
May 18th – Administration Day –
June 17th, 2020 – Last Day for Families –